The Cosgrove Institute is a not-for-profit
organization run by a group of neighbors located in Johnson county,
west of Iowa City, in what was once a Church School. It is now
best known as a place where an artist can rent a studio.
The unincorporated village of Cosgrove was named after the bishop
of Davenport when St. Peters church was built in 1893. The
school buildings and the land were purchased by the community
in 1991 and are now maintained as the Cosgrove Institute,
using the money that comes in from renting out the old classrooms
The neighbors are glad that the buildings and the Main
Street of Cosgrove have been preserved as a Community Center.
The Institute's Board of Directors meets once a month to plan
activities and to keep the buildings in good repair. Many hours
of volunteer work are put in by the board of directors.